Sometimes the best way to motivate yourself is through music. I swear, my house gets cleaner when I have a good playlist going while doing chores. I’ve had a lot of conversations with friends recently about the importance of music that promotes a healthy body image. There’s so much media out there that promotes the “perfect” body. Sir Mix-A-Lot comes to mind with his line, “36-24-36…only if she’s 5’3”” lyric. Annoying. Women (and men!) shouldn’t have to aspire to any specific measurements. How you feel in your own skin is FAR more important.
All of that said, I decided to pull together a playlist of all my favorite body positive & self lovin’ songs into a playlist & share with all of you. You can listen while you read here:(Click to follow Spotify link)
- Confident- Demi Lovato: Demi’s a force to be reckoned with in sharing the truth about body positivity & I LOVE IT! (Also see, Sorry Not Sorry)
- Hips Don’t Lie – Shakira: This song never fails to make me dance. Shake them hips, ladies!
- Resilient- Rising Appalachia: This is definitely slower than the other songs on this playlist, but it’s such a good message. Sample lyric: “I am resilient // I trust the movement // I negate the chaos // Uplift the negative”
- BO$$- Fifth Harmony: Blast this to channel your inner lady boss
- Bootylicious- Destiny’s Child: “Can you handle this” song? Yes. You and your jelly can.
- Beautiful- Christina Aguliera: This song has been my go-to for when I’m feeling bad for so long. We’re all beautiful.
- Bossy- Kelis: Another song to channel your inner lady boss. My favorite is the dialogue at the beginning, “You don’t have to like me. But you will respect me.”
- Check On It- Beyonce: Damn, you look good, and you like what you see. Beyonce has SO many good songs for body positivity. See also Flawless.
- Unpretty- TLC: TLC sang about the struggles that women have to go through in society and the pressure of having to look a certain way. This was, and still is, a much-needed song.
- Secrets – Mary Lambert: I feel like Mary Lambert has flown under the radar for far too long. This is SUCH a good song!
- Good As Hell- Lizzo: It’s impossible to talk about body positivity in music without talking about Lizzo, who has become one of the reigning queens of the topic. In the intro to her song “My Skin” on her 2015 album Big Grrrl Small World, for example, she discusses how learning to love one’s body is a challenge every person — specifically every woman — goes through, but wonders how we get from the “learning to love” to just loving?
- Shake It Out – Florence + The Machine: Sample lyric: “It’s hard to dance, with the devil on your back, so shake him off” Whatever your devil is, whether it’s self doubt or low self-esteem, this song will help shake it out.
- Who Says – Selena Gomez: Who says you’re not perfect? NO ONE.
- Love Myself- Hailee Steinfield: “Gonna love myself, no, I don’t need anybody else”
- Stronger- Britney Spears: There’s lots of variations of the “Stronger” songs. But this one is by far the best.
Do you have any songs that you love for your positivity playlists? Share them with me in the comments below!