Officially, International Women’s Day is March 8, but I refuse accept that it’s only one day, so I celebrate year round.
Here’s some history for you! Did you know International Women’s Day dates back to 1911, when it was first observed in Austria, Denmark, Germany and Switzerland? Today, it has become a global day of recognition and celebration, as well as a reminder of the importance of women’s equality in all aspects of life, in all countries of the world!
One of the awesome things about social media is the community aspect. #InternationalWomensDay trends all day long on March 8 and gives everyone a view into the important conversations happening in real time. With so many exciting ways to join the conversation and participate online, I wanted to share 10 of my favorite ways you can get involved from your phone!
- Tweet using the #InternationalWomensDay hashtag. Tell the world what International Women’s Day means to you.
- Join the discussion about International Women’s Day on LinkedIn.
- Find an International Women’s Day event near you & attend!
- Spend time learning about important women in history. Tomorrow I plan to read about Ruth Bader Ginsberg and Clara Zetkin.
- Wear purple and post a selfie using the #BeBoldForChange hashtag. Purple symbolizes justice and dignity — two values strongly connected to women’s equality.
- Support a female-focused crowd funding initiative. Check out www.ifundwomen.com/ for inspiration.
- Join the International Women’s Day Facebook community.
- Listen to BBC Radio 3 all day on March 8 for a showcase of women talent. American listeners can tune in on the BBC’s iPlayer radio by clicking the “Listen” icon on the upper right hand side of the page.
- Make an online donation to your favorite women’s charity. One of my personal favorites is Time’s Up Now.
- International Women’s Day is about celebrating the achievements of women past, present and future. Email the women in your life and let them know why they’re special to you.
How are you celebrating International Women’s Day? Let me know in the comments!